Friday, May 29, 2015

Reflection on my Master's Degree Program

                I am proud to be completing my Master’s of Entertainment Business Degree at Full Sail University.  This program has taught me invaluable skills and given me great experiences that I will treasure and use to further my business.
                In Media Literacy and Research Methodologies I learned how to research and honed my knowledge of APA style.
                In Executive Leadership I found many ways to become a better leader.  I found the discussions of power in relationships and social negotiating very helpful.
My Project and Team Management course taught me about scheduling resources using Gantt charts and helped me to learn about how to best choose people who will work well together as well as how to improve the functionality of teams.
I found that the Business Storytelling and Brand Development course framed marketing in a way that I had not thought of before.  Telling the story of who you are and how you got to be there—the why you do what you do—is a very potent marketing technique that I now find invaluable.
I perhaps had the most opportunity for improvement in the area of Entertainment Business Finance.  This was my weakest area prior to starting my graduate program.  I learned how to create pro forma financial statements, how to work with accounts payable and receivable and how to create a business budget.  I also learned how to create reasonable projections that I can use to show potential return on investment.
Negotiating and Deal-Making taught me techniques to work with deals and how to negotiate offers effectively to benefit my career.
I really enjoyed the Product and Artist Management class.  In fact, this was possibly my favorite.  I gained insight about riders and scheduling and learned a lot about what Artist Managers and Talent Agents do. 
Advanced Entertainment Law was quite useful as we explored the process of securing rights for works and how to navigate the “copyright jungle.”  Having a year of law school prior to my enrollment at Full Sail gave me background and helped me to be able to understand the content more thoroughly.
Entertainment Media Publishing and Distribution was quite interesting.  As a result of that class, I now have an inexpensive media publishing and distribution method through Amazon.com that produces media that I write and record and delivers it to ordering customers at a low per-unit cost.
My Business Plan Development and Final Project Classes really put everything in perspective and helped me to pull all of my information into a synthesized package.  I crafted and presented a business plan for MusicBrandyn, LLC, my current business and doing so helped me to run my business more efficiently and to set clear goals for the future.

I would the Master’s of Entertainment Business program to anyone and am so proud to graduate with this degree next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment